Essdras M Suarez, a Pulitzer prizewinner photographer based out of Alexandria, VA is the chief photographer for million eyez, an internet- based platform that brings talented writers and photographers together. He was a photojournalist for 20 years and he’s had his images published in publications such as National Geographic, Time Magazine, NYT, Washington Post to name a few.
He was a staff photographer at the Boston Globe for 12 years until 2014 and while there he received national and international accolades for his coverage of stories such as the Columbine Shooting, Boston Bombing Marathon, Newton Massacre, Tsunami aftermath, Iraq war coverage and others. He’s also received multiple awards for his portrait, food, product and travel photography.
Suarez, who is also a USDOS expert speaker in Photojournalism specializing in Latin America, has worked in over 50 countries and currently teaches photo workshops locally, nationally and internationally. He was and adjunct professor at the Boston University College of Communications. He’s also given talks and presentations at other institutions of higher learning such as MIT, Harvard, Northeasten University and University of Florida among others. He’s been a presenter at the annual NECCC conferences while sponsored by Nikon. And he is a regular speaker for YPO/ WPO.
He was born in Panama and has been married for over 25 years. He graduated from the University of Florida in 1993 with Bachelors in Science of Journalism and was awarded the Alumnus of Distinction in 2010.
His love for the martial arts, fitness and yoga spans over 20, passions that lead him to create visYoga©: An ever evolving physical-conditioning system that incorporates principles of yoga, martial arts, isometrics, stretching and relaxation. visYoga: “A workout for your body and a break for your mind.”
- 2014 Spot News Pulitzer (Boston Marathon Bombing), Boston Globe Editorial Staff
- 2008, 2007, 2005 awards from the Society of American Travel Writers Foundation
- 2008, 2000 Headliner Awards for International Photojournalism and Feature
- 2008, 2007 1st Place features category from the Association of Newspaper & Editors
- 2008 Gerald Loeb Award for Distinguished Business and Financial Journalism award
- 2002 – 2012 varied awards from the Boston Press Photographer’s Association
- 2000 Spot News Pulitzer (Columbine Shooting), Denver Rocky Mountain News Staff
- 2000 Robert F. Kennedy International Photojournalism Award
- 1996 – 2001 varied awards from the Colorado Press Association